Your local dollar store can be a great resource for budget-friendly purchases. Keep in mind that even though each item is only $1, not every item is a good deal! Many items come in smaller containers so the per unit price is actually higher than at a typical store.
Here are some items that can be purchased at dollar stores that are truly a great value.
1) Greeting Cards. Many dollar stores often have 2/$1 deals on greeting cards, and they offer quite an assortment too!
2) Toothpaste. Make sure you are getting a full-size container or the per ounce price is probably higher than a traditional store. You may have to go to a less popular brand (AIM) to get a full size tube. Many of the popular brands are available at dollar stores, albeit in a smaller tube.
3) Toothbrushes. If you want name-brand, you can easily find an individual toothbrush for $1. Often times you can get double-packs of the name-brand as well. If you’re willing to go with an off-brand, don’t be surprised if you can get 3 or 4 for a buck! Avoid the “8 packs” as they will be so cheaply made it will not be worth it in the long-run.
4) Mailing Supplies. Many dollar stores sell bubblepack envelopes 2/$1. This is less than half of what you would pay at a big-box store.
5) Coloring Books. You may be surprised at the selection of popular character coloring books at your local dollar store. The price will easily be half of what you would pay at most traditional stores.
What great dollar store finds have you found?